Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Starting Out....

Well, this is my first official post! I guess the first thing I should address is, "Who is Ben?" Well, Ben is my son. He is 14 months old. He has beautiful dark brown eyes and golden honey-brown hair. His smile gives me an instant shot of joy. After spending the first month of his life in the NICU, my husband and I cried tears of joy as we finally left the hospital to bring him home.... but little did we know what was to come.

In the first year of Ben's life, he's been hospitalized three times, he's endured surgery, he has enough doctors and therapists to complete the starting line-up for a baseball team, and his developmental delays have him functioning at about the level of a five-month old.

At now 14 months old, Ben can not sit up unsupported. He can not crawl or walk. He can't feed himself, and he is unable to say any words. He started rolling over just around his first birthday, and I was as joyful as I might have been if I had won the lottery. We still have no diagnosis for Ben, despite an MRI and countless lab tests and genetic testing.

I've decided to write this blog to help document Ben's journey - his struggles and his victories - and also to explore how we find joy and peace in the midst of medical complexities, sleep deprivation, and the normal hullabaloo that accompanies family life. So, this is my starting post.... more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment